Critical Skills® is soft skills training developed by the construction industry for the construction industry. Critical Skills® topics are designed to generate honest and productive discussions employees and field leaders face each day. Each of the topics covers several key workforce issues facing construction and service contractors today.
This program is for field-level employees and others who want to develop soft skills, including the ability to communicate effectively. All members of work crews can benefit as well, including journey-level workers, supervisors and employers.
• The communication model
• Active listening
• Barriers to effective communication
• Listening to (and following Instructions)
• Team or group?
• Learning from sports teams
• Team member styles
• The team leader’s role
• Building an effective intergenerational team
• Construction correspondence
• Helpful tips for filling out forms
• Reading skills in the construction workplace
• Professionalism and follow through
• Traits of a construction professional
• Jobsite culture, respect, & personal responsibility
• Eight sure ways to lower job productivity
• Timeless solutions to solving productivity challenges
Instructor: Jay Tornquist. Jay has been an instructor for over 20 years in the areas of safety, management, and a wide variety of continuing education courses. Jay has held positions such as Safety Director, Human Resources Director, and Education Director where he has implemented new and creative ideas to help programs strengthen and grow. Jay has been extensively involved with the NCCER (National Center for Construction Education and Resources) as a Master Trainer, Certified Instructor, and helped with curriculum development.
Click Here to register
Lunch will be provided for all attendees
All cancellation must be made in writing 72 hours prior to the start date and are subject to a processing fee. No refunds will be given if cancellations are made after the deadline. Most events and programs have space limitations and reservations are taken on first come, first serve basis. It is important to reserve early for an event or program that you wish to attend. ABC reserves the right to cancel the class for any reason and will do so at least 48 hours before the beginning of the course. This session will be postponed and/or cancelled if the class minimum is not met.